The Principal Financial Group®: Built on Strength
When the going gets tough, you need a solid, experienced company you can trust. For more than 130 years, The Principal® has been helping our clients with their financial goals in all kinds of markets.
Whether you're an individual preparing for retirement, someone just starting out, or a business owner managing benefit costs, we have the longevity, experience and solutions you need.
|Summary of Operating Results Three Months Ending|
Reported (unless otherwise noted)
|Assets Under Management (AUM)||$392.2 B||$466.2 B||+19%|
|Operating Earnings||$221.5* M||$269.2 M||+22%|
|Earnings per Share||$0.74*||$0.90||+22%|
|Net Income||$187.2 M||$245.7 M||+31%|
* Third quarter 2012 was negatively impacted by $79.2 M due to an acturarial assumption review.
Our success is rooted in more than 130 years of experience. How do we do it? Amid short-term pressures, we focus on the long-term view. We have a mix of products and investments that provide us flexibility. And we remain committed to working with our clients for greater financial security, in good times and bad. Through recession and recovery, challenge and opportunity, we've relied on a disciplined, long-term investing approach to help keep things on track.
19 million customers worldwide trust the Principal Financial Group, and here's why:
- We're a member of the Fortune 500.
- We're a Top 20 Retirement Leader.
- We're a Best Place to Work in money management.
- We're #3 in Pensions in Brazil.
- We're the number two nonqualified deferred compensation plan service provider.
- We're the 4th largest provider of group benefits (dental, life and disability insurance) based on in-force contracts.
We continue to earn strong financial strength ratings from all the major ratings agencies.
- A.M. Best: A+ (2nd highest of 16) Superior
- Fitch Rating: AA- (4th highest of 21) Very Strong
- Moody's: A1 (5th highest of 21) Good
- Standard & Poor's Rating Group: A+ (5th highest of 21) Strong
For customers, these "strong" ratings mean they can continue to have confidence in the ability of Principal Life Insurance Company to meet its long-term obligations. For shareholders, they validate the continued solid business performance of Principal Life and the strength of our capital and liquidity positions. Our strong relative ratings speak to our ongoing ability to compete for new business and retain existing business, across product lines.
» For more details, view our credit ratings.
- PLANSPONSOR magazine (March 2013).
- Recognition was for firms with 1,000 or more employees. Pensions & Investments, December 10, 2012.
- Assets under management, Fenaprevi (Oct. 2012).
- Based on number of plans record kept, PLANSPONSOR magazine (Dec. 2012).
- Based on 2011 LIMRA data on fully insured employer contracts in force.
- Third party ratings relate only to Principal Life Insurance Company, the largest member company of the Principal Financial Group and Principal National Life Insurance Company, and do not reflect any ratings actions or notices relating to the US life insurance sector generally.