Piety Hill In 1880, Piety Hill was an area of Des Moines known for its many churches. Corporate One at 711 High Street now stands in place of the church on the right.
First home office
Bankers Life Association began operations in a back office of Simon Casady's Des Moines Bank Building located on the southwest corner of Third and Walnut in Des Moines. Today the site is occupied by The Plaza, a large condominium complex.
The Equitable Building in Des Moines
The company was located in the Equitable Building at 6th and Locust in Des Moines from 1880-1917. The Equitable Building was the tallest office building in Iowa at that time.
Bankers Life Song
During the 1920s and 1930s it was common for businesses and social organizations to have songs celebrating their vitality. The company also celebrated its success through song at the anniversary festivities. Songs included, "Howdy Do?," "Founders Hymn" and "Bankers Life, We Hail You" (shown above).
WHO radio towers in 1925 From 1925-1930, the company owned and operated WHO Radio in Des Moines. Shown here are the two radio towers located on the roof of the Liberty Building, the company's corporate office at the time. The radio studio and offices were located on the top floor of the building and staffed by company employees.
Gerard Nollen and WHO
The company owned WHO radio in the 1920s. President Gerard Nollen used the opportunity to give state of the company messages each year.