America – The Time is Right to Dream Again
The Principal launches Dream Again integrated education campaign to help Americans work toward financial dreams
April 19, 2011 (Des Moines, Iowa) – Having a dream is just the beginning of the planning process. Yet whether saving for retirement or a dream home, the problem is that most Americans have a hard time even visualizing their financial futures. That’s why the Principal Financial Group® launched a new integrated financial education campaign, Dream Again, with easy-to-use resources to help people put their financial pictures into clear focus and help make their dreams reality.
“We’ve been through tough economic times, but Americans are now saving, spending and investing smarter as a result. Many indicators show the time is right to dream again,” said Mary O’Keefe, senior vice president and chief marketing officer at The Principal®. “People are now cautiously optimistic, but they still want help and encouragement. The future is a vague concept and many people don’t know how to get started toward reaching their dreams. Dreams are easier to reach if you can see them clearly first.”
Online Planning Center
At the heart of the Dream Again campaign is the online planning center (www.DreamAgain.com), designed to engage, educate, inspire and motivate Americans to take action. The site features a number of resources for advisors, businesses and individuals including:
- The Dreamcatcher (https://dreamagain.principal.com), a new social application that helps people visualize, organize and prioritize their dreams
- Video tips and ideas from award-winning journalist and NBC Today Show financial editor Jean Chatzky
- Inspirational case studies from business owners and individuals featuring their dreams for the future
- Educational tools, articles and guidance from The Principal
- Assistance finding an advisor
“The Dreamcatcher is a key feature of the site as it helps prime individuals for the planning process, providing a greater sense of control and confidence,” O’Keefe said. “Research shows that many of those who take the time to plan actually save more and spend less.”
According to the 2011 Retirement Confidence Survey, nearly half (44%) of Americans who did a savings calculation made positive changes like saving more and reducing debt. Similarly, 42% of 401(k) participants who used The Principal online calculator, My Principal Edge Milestones, started to save or increased their savings as a result.
Financial professionals can help give a leg up to reaching dreams
With the Dreamcatcher, individuals can capture and collect images that express their financial goals and dreams, and then share their dreams on social sites with friends, family and advisors.
O’Keefe said the ultimate objective of the Dreamcatcher is to help foster discussions with financial professionals who can help individuals turn their dreams into concrete financial objectives, priorities and plans.
“In fact, those who work with an advisor are more likely to have taken steps to prepare for their financial futures,” O’Keefe said. According to the 1st Quarter 2011 Principal Financial Well-Being IndexSM conducted by Harris Research, those working with a financial professional are:
- Happier with their current financial well-being
- More likely to have established goals for their financial future
- More likely to have created a plan to help them achieve their financial goals
- More aware of the money they may need to save to be more comfortable in retirement
- More likely to have a financial protection strategy in place (such as disability income insurance, life insurance, etc.)
For people who don’t have an advisor, The Principal can help through the “find an advisor” link on DreamAgain.com.
O’Keefe said The Principal will drive traffic to DreamAgain.com through an integrated marketing effort including national and trade advertising, promotions, sponsorship and direct marketing.
For more news and insights from The Principal, connect with us on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/ThePrincipal.
About the Principal Financial Group
The Principal Financial Group® (The Principal®) is a leader in offering businesses, individuals and institutional clients a wide range of financial products and services, including retirement and investment services, life and health insurance, and banking through its diverse family of financial services companies. A member of the Fortune 500, the Principal Financial Group has $318.8 billion in assets under management and serves some 19.1 million customers worldwide from offices in Asia, Australia, Europe, Latin America and the United States. Principal Financial Group, Inc. is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol PFG. For more information, visit www.principal.com.
- 2011 Employee Benefits Research Institute Retirement Confidence Survey.
- 1Q 2011 Principal Financial Well-Being Index, those who use an advisor for financial advice, guidance and/or products for a fee or commission are significantly more likely to report they are extremely happy with their current financial well-being (38%) than those who do not use an advisor (26%).
- 1Q 2011 Principal Financial Well-Being Index, of those who use an advisor, about 2/3 of both employees (64%) and retirees (65%) have worked with their advisor to establish goals for their financial security.
- 1Q 2011 Principal Financial Well-Being Index, about half of both employees (50%) and retirees (48%) who work with an advisor have created a plan to achieve their financial goals.
- Employees who use an advisor (67%) are more likely than employees who do not use an advisor (42%) to indicate they are aware of the amount of money they need in order to be comfortable in retirement.
- 1Q 2011 Principal Financial Well-Being Index, Employees who use an advisor are more likely to own disability income insurance (32%) and life insurance (76%) than employees who do not use an advisor (19% disability income insurance; 51% life insurance).
- "The Principal Financial Group" and "The Principal" are registered service marks of Principal Financial Services, Inc., a member of the Principal Financial Group.
- As of Dec. 31, 2010.