Greater Des Moines Partnership Celebrates Diversity and Inclusion at The Principal
The Principal is named the 2011 Diversity Award winner a third time
January 19, 2011 (Des Moines, IA) - The Principal Financial Group® was named the 2011 Diversity Award winner by the Greater Des Moines Partnership at its annual dinner on Tuesday, Jan. 18. The Principal® is the recipient of the award for the third time – the most any single company has won. The company received the honor for the first time in 2003 and again in 2006.
“We’ve worked very hard over many decades to create a welcoming environment for all employees. We’re proud that those efforts continue to pay off,” said Ralph Eucher, senior vice president, Human Resources and Corporate Services, The Principal. “Diversity is a process of creating and maintaining a culture of inclusion that evolves over time. This award is a great honor, and it’s a credit to our employees—around the world—who make The Principal all that it is.”
- The Principal was selected based on diversity initiatives and results, as well as related demographics, recruitment and retention statistics, development programs, leader accountability for diversity, the company’s commitment to supplier diversity and support of diversity within the community.
Some highlights included:
- The alignment of diversity with business objectives – Included the work the Hispanic/Latino Employee Resource Group members at The Principal have done to provide translation and cultural reviews of marketing materials.
- A recent Employee Resource Group boot camp – Designed as a team-building retreat for employee resource group leaders and executive sponsors, the goal was to help the participants get to know each other better to foster more collaboration.
- A deep commitment to development – This includes offering diversity education and awareness to all employees. It also includes the development of resource group leaders and members:
- Encouraging them to list their resource group involvement on their development plans and goals
- Offering a resource group-specific mentoring program
- Opening leadership training to resource group leaders who, if they’re not formal leaders, might not otherwise attend those sessions or focus on those skills
Employee Resource Groups at The Principal provide a formal setting for employees with similar interests to network, giving opportunities for career development, as well as community outreach, recruiting, targeted marketing and supplier diversity efforts. Seven active groups include:
- African American/Black Employee Resource Group
- Asian Employee Resource Group
- Disability Employee Resource Group
- Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgender/Ally Employee Resource Group
- Hispanic/Latino Employee Resource Group
- Muslim Employee Resource Group
- Women's Network for Leaders
For more information about diversity at The Principal, visit: http://www.principal.com/careers/workinghere/ourculture.htm
For more news and insights from The Principal, connect with us on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/ThePrincipal.
About the Principal Financial Group
The Principal Financial Group® (The Principal®) is a leader in offering businesses, individuals and institutional clients a wide range of financial products and services, including retirement and investment services, life and health insurance, and banking through its diverse family of financial services companies. A member of the Fortune 500, the Principal Financial Group has $305.7 billion in assets under management and serves some 18.9 million customers worldwide from offices in Asia, Australia, Europe, Latin America and the United States. Principal Financial Group, Inc. is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol PFG.
- "The Principal Financial Group" and "The Principal" are registered service marks of Principal Financial Services, Inc., a member of the Principal Financial Group.
- As of Sept. 30, 2010.