Greater Des Moines Partnership Honors the Principal Financial Group for Thinking Green
The Principal is named the 2011 Environmental Impact Award winner
May 18, 2011 (Des Moines, IA) - The Principal Financial Group® was named the 2011 Environmental Impact Award winner in the large business category by the Greater Des Moines Partnership at a May 18 ceremony.
The Principal® was recognized for its major sustainability efforts including energy efficiency programs, waste prevention and recycling measures. In 2008, the company formalized its commitment to environmentally friendly practices by establishing a sustainability committee, which oversees the strategy and implementation of sustainability efforts and raises dialogue among employees.
“We are grateful to be recognized for a sustainability strategy that has truly been embraced at The Principal,” said Jed Fisk, vice president, Corporate Services and chair of the Sustainability Committee at The Principal. “While sustainability is an extension of the core values that influence how we conduct business every day, we see it as more than just a good business practice. We want it to be a way of life for our employees, our customers and our communities.”
Recent eco-friendly achievements of The Principal include:
- Sustainable Forestry Certification: The Print-to-Mail facility in Urbandale, Iowa, responsible for printing a variety of client documents, received its chain-of-custody certification in 2010. Certification demonstrates that the timber and paper The Principal uses has been tracked from the forest to the finished product, and has been managed in a sustainable fashion. The Principal has earned certification from three widely known organizations:
- FSC – Forest Stewardship Council
- SFI – Sustainable Forestry Initiative
- PEFC – Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification
- Electronic delivery: Through a new partnership with the Arbor Day Foundation, a tree will be planted in a U.S. National Forest for each shareholder who chooses to receive shareholder information electronically
- “Why Print Wednesday”: A simple reminder every Wednesday to employees to think before they print. In the first three months, paper usage fell by 600,000 sheets
For more news and insights from The Principal, connect with us on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/ThePrincipal.
To learn more about sustainability activities and achievements, visit: http://www.principal.com/about/social/environment.htm.
About Environmental Impact Awards
The Environmental Impact Awards were established to recognize organizations and leaders who exemplify environmentally sustainable practices. Awards are given in the following categories: The Built Environment – Residential and Commercial; Individual and Civic; and Business – Large and Small.
About the Principal Financial Group
The Principal Financial Group® (The Principal®) is a retirement and global asset management leader. The Principal offers businesses, individuals and institutional clients a wide range of financial products and services, including retirement, investment services and insurance through its diverse family of financial services companies. A member of the FORTUNE 500®, the Principal Financial Group has $327.4 billion in assets under management and serves some 16.4 million customers worldwide from offices in Asia, Australia, Europe, Latin America and the United States. Principal Financial Group, Inc. is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol PFG.
- “The Principal Financial Group” and “The Principal” are registered service marks of Principal Financial Services, Inc., a member of the Principal Financial Group.
- As of March 31, 2011.