The Principal Financial Group Announces Central Iowa Grant Recipients
Funding focused on Education Programs
September 13, 2012 (Des Moines, Iowa) – Students and leaders across Central Iowa continue to get the education and resources they need to be successful thanks to the $450,000 in grants given out by the Principal Financial Group® and the Principal Financial Group Foundation for the second quarter of 2012. Grant funding was presented to 28 organizations focused on providing access to higher education and the skills necessary to thrive in today’s workforce.
“We believe in aiding programs that provide the most benefit to our employees’ communities and families,” said Mary O’Keefe, senior vice president and chief marketing officer, The Principal®. “By investing in the education of tomorrow’s workforce, we are investing in the future of our communities.”
Among the programs receiving funding were:
- Institute for Character Development (Character Counts)- Grant funding will support the Power2Achieve program which helps middle school and high school students develop character skills necessary to enter the workforce.
- Business-Higher Education Forum – The grant will support The College Readiness, Access, and Success Initiative in Central Iowa. This initiative is a dynamic platform for business and higher education to work together to promote college readiness, access, and degree completion, as well as to promote successful entry into the workforce.
- Iowa Association of Business and Industry Foundation- Grant funds will support three programs that educate and develop leaders of all ages to become the foundation for Iowa’s future economic growth.
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund- Grant funding will provide financial aid for Latino students, including four scholarships for the 2012/13 academic year.
- Iowa Jobs for America's Graduated- The grant will support four programs that help at-risk teens to successfully graduate high school, and enroll in college or find a job.
Ten institutions of higher education also received funding, including all of the Iowa Regent Schools, as well as three scholarship foundations. The Principal has awarded more than $1,569,000 in grants so far in 2012.
For more information on how The Principal gives back, visit: http://www.principal.com/community.
For more news and insights from The Principal, connect with us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/ThePrincipal.
About the Principal Financial Group Foundation
The Principal Financial Group Foundation provides philanthropic investments in the communities where employees of The Principal live and work through employee matching gifts, one-time major gifts, and a formal grants program. Grants are awarded on a quarterly basis in the following categories: Health & Human Services; Education; Arts & Culture; Civic, Community, and Environment.
About the Principal Financial Group
The Principal Financial Group® (The Principal®) is a global investment management leader including retirement services, insurance solutions and asset management. The Principal offers businesses, individuals and institutional clients a wide range of financial products and services, including retirement, asset management and insurance through its diverse family of financial services companies. Founded in 1879 and a member of the FORTUNE 500®, the Principal Financial Group has $367.1 billion in assets under management and serves some 18.2 million customers worldwide from offices in Asia, Australia, Europe, Latin America and the United States. Principal Financial Group, Inc. is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol PFG. For more information, visit www.principal.com.
- “The Principal Financial Group” and “The Principal” are registered service marks of Principal Financial Services, Inc., a member of the Principal Financial Group.
- As of June 30, 2012.