The Principal Financial Group Announces Central Iowa Grant Recipients
Funding focused on Health and Human Service Programs
June 27, 2012 (Des Moines, Iowa) In an effort to support and improve the quality of life for its employees and local communities, the Principal Financial Group® and the Principal Financial Group Foundation have awarded $634,500 in grants to 82 organizations in Central Iowa for the first quarter of 2012. Grant funding was given to organizations focused on improving and providing health and human services in the communities they serve.
“Giving back is engrained in the culture at The Principal. It’s important to support the communities our employees call home,” said Mary O’Keefe, senior vice president and chief marketing officer, The Principal®. “Enriching the Central Iowa community helps retain and attract top talent, creates an excellent business environment and makes for a great place to live – and work.”
Among the health programs receiving funding were:
- Des Moines Health Center- Grant funds will support the Smile Squad Program which provides oral health education, screenings, and dental sealants to children in Central Iowa.
- Prevent Blindness Iowa- The grant will support the Children’s Vision Screening program, which aims to detect vision problems in children before they cause irreversible damage.
Among the human service programs receiving funding were:
- WesleyLife Community Services- Grant funding will support its free money management program, which provides financial management education for older low- to moderate-income adults with disabilities.
- Youth Policy Institute of Iowa- Grant funds will support Opportunity Passport, a program that helps young adults transitioning out of foster care to develop financial management skills.
- ISED Ventures- funding will support the Financial Literacy program for disadvantaged Iowans, providing education in basic computer skills, social media, website management, and online financial tools.
- Catholic Charities- The grant will support the Hispanic Community Outreach Program which connects new Spanish-speaking residents to community resources and educational programming.
For more information on how The Principal gives back, visit: http://www.principal.com/community.
For more news and insights from The Principal, connect with us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/ThePrincipal.
About the Principal Financial Group Foundation
The Principal Financial Group Foundation provides philanthropic investments in the communities where employees live and work through employee matching gifts, one-time major gifts, and a formal grants program. Grants are awarded on a quarterly basis in the following categories: Health & Human Services; Education; Arts & Culture; Civic, Community, and Environment.
About the Principal Financial Group
The Principal Financial Group® (The Principal ®) is a global investment management leader including retirement services, insurance solutions and asset management. The Principal offers businesses, individuals and institutional clients a wide range of financial products and services, including retirement, asset management and insurance through its diverse family of financial services companies. Founded in 1879 and a member of the FORTUNE 500®, the Principal Financial Group has $364.1 billion in assets under management and serves some 17.3 million customers worldwide from offices in Asia, Australia, Europe, Latin America and the United States. Principal Financial Group, Inc. is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol PFG. For more information, visit www.principal.com.
- “The Principal Financial Group” and “The Principal” are registered service marks of Principal Financial Services, Inc., a member of the Principal Financial Group.
- As of March 31, 2012.