The Principal and the Environment
The Principal takes its responsibility to support our natural environment seriously. Our concern for the environment is an extension of our core value of Integrity.
While we've pursued sustainable efforts for years, The Principal formalized its commitment in 2008 by establishing a sustainability committee consisting of cross-functional team members whose purpose is to advocate for environmental responsibility throughout the organization.
Here are just a few examples of how we're setting the standard for environmental leadership:
- We built one of the first LEED® certified buildings in Des Moines.
- The Principal Child Development Center earned Gold LEED certification in 2009. And not only is it a Gold LEED certified building, but it incorporates environmentally friendly practices into the learning curriculum, ensuring the children attending the center understand the importance of conservation and the environment.
- We are also currently pursuing LEED-Existing Building certification for 801 Grand, one of our commercial properties that is the tallest building in Iowa.
- We were the first to sponsor a carbon-neutral Champions Tour golf tournament.
- In 2011, The Principal Charity Classic became the first tournament on the Champions tour to be carbon-neutral – with our Shoot for Zero initiative.
- We participate in Natural Capitalization programs in Des Moines, the Carbon Disclosure Project and the Business Roundtable's S.E.E. Change initiatives.
- These voluntary programs encourage companies to share sustainable solutions and provide the opportunity to disclose greenhouse gas emissions, water management and climate change strategies.
- We're featured in Business Roundtable's 2013 Sustainability Report — Create, Grow, Sustain (PDF: 14.12 MB)
- Page 113 features Larry Zimpleman, chairman, president and CEO, highlighting our sustainability efforts.
- Our sustainability efforts are also featured in EcoCore, a publication by Des Moines' Downtown Community Alliance.
Featured Environmental Awards & Recognition
In recognition of our environmental efforts, the Principal Financial Group and our Principal Real Estate Investors division have earned the following:
- 2011 – Winner of Environmental Impact Awards/large business category – Greater Des Moines Partnership award.
- The Principal was recognized for its major sustainability efforts including energy efficiency programs, waste prevention and recycling measures.
- Read the press release
- 2012 – Principal Real Estate Investors named among Greenest Companies in the United States by Commercial Property Executive.
- The real estate publication’s annual ranking puts Principal Real Estate Investors in a class of companies forging the path for a sustainable future.
- 2008 – Principal Real Estate Investors named Green Giant of the Year at the third annual EPIC Awards.
- The company was recognized for its portfolio of more than $500 million of green properties and its efforts to retrofit existing properties so that they conform to LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) standards.
We’d like to thank our customers, shareholders and employees, for their support of our efforts and the choices they’ve made that are better for the environment.