The Principal and the Environment
Principal Real Estate Investors, our commercial real estate division, embraces the movement toward green buildings for properties we invest in on behalf of our clients.
Fifty five buildings in our commercial real estate portfolio are LEED® certified, with an additional 55 buildings currently registered with the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) for LEED certification. Seventy-six of the buildings under management received the 2011-2012 ENERGY STAR designation with an 83 overall ENERGY STAR rating.
- Principal Real Estate Investors manages a core-plus commingled fund ranked #2 and a closed-end commingled fund ranked #3 in the U.S for corporate environmental policies and management.
- Principal Real Estate Investors has eight LEED Accredited Professionals on staff as well as a green task force of real estate professionals that focuses on establishing and driving portfolio-wide initiatives such as energy reduction, environmentally sustainable building features and top-tier operating practices.
- We offer a closed-end, commingled fund that adopts a broad, holistic approach toward integrating environmental, social and economic principles into the design and delivery of new commercial properties, as well as the retrofitting of existing properties to obtain LEED certified status.
- Principal Global Investors, our asset management division, became a signatory for the United Nations-backed Principles for Responsible Investment in December 2010. Signatories commit to considering the six principles related to environmental, social and corporate governance issues in the course of doing business.
- Principal Real Estate Investors was recognized by Commercial Property Executive as one of the greenest commercial real estate companies in the United States. The real estate publication's annual ranking puts Principal Real Estate Investors in a class of companies forging the path for a sustainable future.