Our checking accounts have many free features as noted below. And, unlike checking accounts at other banks, you'll earn interest on higher balances.
You can open your checking account online and view your checking account balance anywhere you can access the Internet--at home, at work or on the road. You can also get checking account information by phone--our expert personal bankers are available at 1.800.672.3343 from 7 AM to 9 PM (Central Time), Monday through Friday excluding holidays.
You'll rest easy knowing that your checking account is FDIC-insured (up to $250,000 per depositor).
Open your online checking account with just $100. Our checking accounts include:
- FREE Online BillPay - Pay your bills directly from your checking account with unlimited electronic transactions you control (unlike automated ACH withdrawals).
- FREE VISA Debit Card (no annual fee).
- FREE ATM and debit card transactions.
- FREE initial order of custom personalized checks.
- FREE online cleared-check images.
- FREE account transfer from other Principal Bank accounts.
- Money Movement - Online money transfer service that lets you move money between your Principal Bank checking account and your accounts at other banks.
- Overdraft Protection - Peace of mind knowing you're covered against those unexpected emergencies that might otherwise overdraw your checking account.
- Certain ATMs may implement a surcharge for transactions.
- Note: a monthly average balance of $500 is required to avoid a monthly fee of $7.
With our checking accounts, you'll enjoy these benefits:
- Tiered interest earned on account balances at $2,500 and $25,000
- 24-hour account access - online or on the phone
- Combined statements with your other Principal Bank checking and savings accounts
Not looking forward to the hassle of switching checking accounts? No problem. We've made it easy to choose our checking account. Just check out our Switch Kit for a checklist of things to remember when making the change.
Plus, you have 6 ways to make deposits to your checking account:
- Electronic deposit
- ATM deposits and transfers (where available)
- Regular mail
- Telephone transfers
- Wire transfers
- Money Movement