Diversity and Inclusion at The Principal
Diversity isn't a program. It's who we are.
We believe that diversity and inclusion are key drivers of creativity, innovation and invention. Throughout the world, we are putting our differences to work to connect everyone in the workplace, marketplace and community.
We strive to create an environment that appreciates everyone's unique experiences, backgrounds, talents and qualities. To create a culture of inclusion, where customers, suppliers and employees of all different backgrounds are welcomed, respected and valued for their differences. We know that success depends on it.
In the workplace
Each of us is different, that is what we have in common. That's why we look for diversity in the talent we hire. And provide the tools and opportunities to help our employees achieve their full potential. These are just a few of the dozens of opportunities we offer employees to create an environment of learning, sharing and excelling:
- Flexible work schedules
- Multicultural celebrations
- Prenatal care programs
- Onsite childcare center
- Formal development programs
- Muslim prayer room
- Domestic partner benefits
- Resource groups for employees of varied backgrounds
In the community
When you give, you get. It's through charitable giving, volunteer efforts and sponsorships that we're able to educate our neighbors and promote topics of diversity where we do business. We support programs that increase awareness and help everyone develop a greater appreciation and understanding for wide-ranging backgrounds and cultures.
Measuring our success
Our Diversity Index, a compilation of metrics, helps us measure our progress in creating an environment of inclusion, respect and community. Including:
- Recruiting world-class diverse talent
- Developing world-class diverse talent
- Retaining world-class diverse talent
- Creating an inclusive work environment through multiple diversity training and awareness programs
- Partnering with community organizations to implement outreach initiatives that will influence diversity and inclusiveness in the community
- Continuing to grow and improve our Supplier Diversity Program
But it is more than measurement. It is also being accountable for progress. So the Diversity Index is in the goals of senior management. Performance towards these goals is directly tied to their incentive compensation earned each year.
So, we'll keep making opportunities for our customers, our business partners and our employees. Because at the end of the day, what we're all looking for is a better perspective, right?