Help: Hiring Process
There are several steps to the process of getting hired. Here is a general overview of what to expect.
1. Resumes are reviewed
- A recruiter will review all resumes received for a job posting
- Resumes will be selected if they match the qualifications listed in the job posting
- An e-mail is sent to those applicants that do not meet the minimum qualifications
- The status on your submitted application will change to “Decline"
- If you are selected you will continue through the screening process
2. The interview(s)
- The first interview will take place via telephone with a recruiter
- They will ask about your previous experience, background, and interests
- Once those interviews are completed, the recruiter will suggest candidates to be interviewed by the Hiring Manager
- Normally the next interview takes place in person unless for some reason the candidate is unable do so
- During all of the above steps the status shown on the Applications page is “Interview"
- Once all interviews are complete, the recruiter will contact you via e-mail or telephone to tell you what decision was made or you may receive a decline e-mail
3. Background check
- The Principal Financial Group requires that all applicants successfully complete a background check prior to employment
- If an issue arises with the background check, you will be over-nighted a copy of the results along with an address with which to mail your response within a specified time
- In the event that the issue cannot be resolved, you will be notified in writing
4. Offer of employment
- Once you have passed the background check, the recruiter will contact you to make an offer of employment
- If you accept the offer of employment, the status will change to “Offer Accepted"
- Once all the necessary paperwork is completed and you have provided any required documentation, the status will change to “Hired"
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How do I know if I am qualified for a position?
A. The job duties and qualifications are detailed in each job listing. Review those carefully to make certain that your past experience meets or exceeds those qualifications.
Q. When should I expect to hear back regarding the position for which I applied?
A. When you apply for a position, your information is sent directly to a recruiter and you will receive an e-mail acknowledging receipt of your resume. Our recruiters are reviewing applications on an on-going basis. If you are not selected for an interview, you will receive a “decline" e-mail notification.
Q. How do I know where I am at in the selection process?
A. There is a “Status" column on the View Applications page that will indicate the status of your application throughout the process. The different status’ are:
- Applied - your application was received and is being reviewed
- Interview - you have been scheduled for an interview either with a recruiter or the hiring manager
- Decline - an e-mail notification has been sent to you indicating that the Principal Financial Group did not select you for this position
- Withdrawn - you withdrew your application
- Offer Accepted - You have accepted an offer of employment made by the Principal Financial Group
- Hired - You have been hired by the Principal Financial Group
- Linked - this status indicates that application is being manually tracked by a recruiter to a specific job
Q. I applied for a position with the Principal Financial Group and received a notification indicating I was not selected. I thought I was qualified. Why was I not selected?
A. The recruiters carefully review each resume received. You should review your resume to make certain you meet or exceed the qualifications required for the job.
Q. What should I do to prepare for the interview?
A. Your previous experience, background, and interests will all be topics during the interview. Make certain that you are prepared to address questions posed regarding these topics.
Q. What kind of background checks does the Principal Financial Group perform?
A. The background checks we perform depend largely on the type of position you are applying for. A criminal background check is done for every potential employee. Based on the position you are being considered for we may also include any of the following:
- Credit Check
- Education Check
- Work History
- Motor Vehicle Report
Q. How do I know what kind of background check the Principal Financial Group will perform on me?
A. Typically the recruiter will inform you of the checks that are being performed on you.
Q. At what point in the process does the Principal Financial Group perform the background checks?
A. Normally this is done after you interview with the hiring manager and they have selected you for employment. Occasionally, we may begin this earlier in the screening/interview process.