Leadership Development Program
Exposure. Opportunity. Exploration.
Do you consider yourself a leader? Are you interested in exploring many areas of business? Do you want to work for a company that encourages you to have a career, not just a job? Read on to learn about the unique opportunities available to you through the Leadership Development Program (The LDP) with the Principal Financial Group® (The Principal®).
The LDP provides an exciting opportunity for a select group of three to five high-performing college graduates every year. It’s designed to introduce future leaders to all aspects of the company. You will gain exposure to different business areas through several rotations. Once you have completed the two to three-year program, we will work with you to determine your best fit at The Principal and launch you into your career.
- How it works
- Sample rotation
- Leadership development plan
- What you learn
- Application criteria
- How to apply
The two to three-year program includes five cross-functional rotations, ranging from six to twelve months in length. Each rotation is designed to help you develop an understanding of the different business areas of The Principal, while providing you broad exposure and meaningful project work. Rotations include functional areas like:
- Asset Accumulation/Asset Management
- Audit and Risk
- Human Resources
- Corporate Relations
- Project Management
- Supplier Management
The rotational path of each participant is customized to develop strengths and stretch the individual’s skill sets, giving prime opportunities for growth and new experiences. Following is a real rotational path for one of the past program associates, Luke, a Drake University graudate with degrees in Finance and Management.
|Retirement Investor Services||Large Client Marketing Associate||6 months|
|Human Resources||Benefit Analyst||6 months|
|Individual Life New Business||Team Leader||6 months|
|Principal Global Investors||Investment Performance Analyst||6 months|
|Internal Audit & Risk Control||Audit & Risk Consultant||3 months|
Employee development is one of our five core values at The Principal. We will help you build a customized development plan including:
- Mentoring from senior leaders
- Networking with members of senior management
- Representing the company at corporate community events like the Principal Charity Classic and the Principal Financial Dreams Tour
- Participating in quarterly earnings call debriefs with senior management
- Interacting with analysts and investors when they visit The Principal corporate campus in Des Moines
- Completing personal assessment of leadership skills
- Engaging in formal leadership curriculum and classes
- Completing a capstone project with other participants in the LDP
- Learning how our products and services stack up against the competition
You’ll learn about our business, the company culture and how to be a leader. You will learn from senior leaders and peers in formal classroom settings and informal environments. And since we limit the number of participants, you’ll have the opportunity to learn in depth how our leaders have helped make The Principal a great place for great people to do great work.
- College student graduating in a business related field this December or the following May
- Exceptional leadership skills demonstrated through holding various leadership positions (formal/informal) on or off campus, which may include cabinet roles within a student organization, captain position on an athletic team, or leadership in a work-related position
- Strong analytical, communication and written skills
- Business acumen as a result of at least one internship or business relevant work experience
- Desire to learn, explore and be challenged outside of comfort zone
- Initiative to lead with or without a formal title
- Proven track record of academic excellence
- Cumulative 3.0 GPA
- Willingness to travel, as some travel may be required, including overnight stays (5%)
- Study abroad experience
- Community involvement experience
- Cumulative GPA 3.25 or above
- Language skills in Mandarin, Canonese, Portuguese, or Spanish a plus
- Only individuals with permanent legal rights to work in the United States need apply
- Don't forget to tell us how you heard about this opportunity by completing the Referral Information
Step 2: Search and apply for positions
- Using keywords: Development Program
Once you have successfully completed these steps, you will receive a confirmation email.
- September – October: Application available and first-round interviews
- November: Second-round interviews
- December: All candidates will be notified of offer or decline
- Late May - June: Leadership Development Program begins
We'll Give You An Edge®
The Principal provides competitive pay that rewards exceptional results. And, we recognize that benefits don't come in a one-size-fits-all package, so we provide choice with our benefits at a cost employees and the company can afford.