The Phyllis R. Johnson Scholarship
Principal employee dependents or relatives who are incoming freshmen at the University of Iowa are eligible to apply for an $800 scholarship in memory of Phyllis R. Johnson.
Am I Qualified?
- Be a relative of a Principal Financial Group employee (dependent child, grandchild, niece or nephew). Please note: dependents of agents and dependents of executives (vice president and above) of The Principal are not eligible.
- Demonstrate a financial need
- Be an incoming freshman at the University of Iowa. Transfer students are not eligible.
What do I get as a scholarship recipient?
The scholarship is $800 and can be renewable by applying each year, for a total of four years, if:
- The student maintains at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average
- The student continues to meet financial need requirements
- The student remains enrolled full-time
- The parent or relative remains employed at The Principal
How do I apply?
By April 1, interested students must:
- Complete and submit the Phyllis R. Johnson Scholarship application (PDF: 37 KB)
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov to verify your financial need. Students should follow the instructions listed on the University of Iowa Office of Student Financial Aid web site under "Applying for Aid."
For more information, call the university's main toll-free number at (800) 553.4692 and ask for Student Financial Aid, or call the office directly at (319) 335.1450.
Phyllis R. Johnson was a dedicated company employee for 33 years. She was struck by a car and killed as she walked from ramp one on March 1, 1985. The scholarship fund was established at the University of Iowa by her brother.