The Principal Scholar Program
Interested in a $5,000 scholarship and a paid internship at a Fortune 500 financial services company? Find out if you're eligible and if so, apply online today.
What do you get as a Principal Scholar recipient?
- $5,000 scholarship to apply toward educational expenses for the following academic year*
- Paid summer internship opportunity at the Principal Financial Group
* For students choosing to attend a community college, the scholarship amount will not exceed tuition, books, and room and board costs at the community college.
What are the eligibility requirements for applicants?
- African-American, Hispanic, Asian/Pacific Islander or American Indian/Alaskan Native
- U.S. citizen
- Current status of sophomore or above
- Minimum grade point average of 3.0
- Have an industry-related major such as liberal arts, business, information systems, finance and/or accounting
Employees, agents and dependents of employees of The Principal and its subsidiaries are not eligible.
How are scholars selected?
Scholars are selected based on the following:
- Work history
- Extracurricular involvement and leadership
- Written essay
- Personal interview for finalists
Scholarships may be renewed for one year if certain conditions are met.
When are the application deadlines and key dates?
- Nov. 1: Application deadline for the following fall academic year. Applications received after Nov. 1 will be considered for the subsequent academic year.
- Mid-November: Finalists will be chosen and contacted for an interview.
- Early December: Award announcements will be made.
Are you ready to apply?
Questions? Contact us at 515.247.MYHR (6947)or 1.866.524.MYHR (6947)