Visual impairment is one of the 10 most frequent causes of disability in the United States  . Add the fact that at least 63% of American adults currently wear glasses or contacts  , and the need for vision insurance is clear.
Why choose vision insurance from Principal Life?
- It’s simple - a supplemental expense benefit with no deductibles, no copayments and no networks.
- It’s affordable - provided on a scheduled basis, so you have a benefit offering that meets your cost and objectives.
- It’s appreciated - vision insurance may not be considered an essential employee benefit, but it is a benefit employees will appreciate.
We provide vision care options to fit your needs
- Our employer-paid vision insurance is affordable and flexible.
- We also offer voluntary employee-paid coverage.
Vision Care Discounts
When you offer employees vision insurance from Principal Life, they receive reduced prices and discounts through VSP on:
- Eye exams
- Contact lenses
- Laser vision correction
- And more
Voluntary Vision Insurance
Voluntary vision insurance from Principal Life Insurance Company is an affordable and desired benefit, with nearly 70% of employees willing to trade some vacation time for vision benefits. 
Vision impairment and eye disease cost the United States $68 billion annually in direct healthcare costs, lost productivity and diminished quality of life. And there is a significant link between vision and overall health. 
Why offer Voluntary Vision?
- Offered with the same standard features as our employer-paid benefit
- Typical vision premiums cost only a few dollars a month, adding a low-cost solution to employee benefit packages while balancing budget needs
- The opportunity is clear - only 29% of employees in private industry have access to vision care benefits. 
- No deductibles or copayments
- Flexible participation guidelines that allow enrolling groups with the greater of 25% or 10 enrolled lives
- No dependent participation requirements
- Coverage for both employees and dependents
- Benefit customization in $5 increments
- Annual enrollment
- Freedom when choosing a vision provider
- Access to discounts on vision products and services received through VSP providers utilizing the VSP Access Plan
For more information
- Contact your local representative of Principal Life
- Chartbook on Disability in the United States. 1996 U.S. National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research
- Employee Benefit News, December 2004 vol 18, no 15
- Employee Benefits News; August 2001 vol 15, no 10
- National Alliance for Eye and Vision Research (NAEVR) Fact Sheet, www.eyeresearch.org/resources/NEI_factsheet.html viewed: 6-12-06
- Vision Service Plan, February 2006
- United States Bureau of Labor Statistics National Compensation Survey, 2005. www.bls.gov/ncs/ebs