Dividend Q & A
1. Does The Principal pay cash dividends?
Beginning in 2002, the board of directors has declared and paid cash dividends on an annual basis through 2011. The company changed to a quarterly dividend payout as of first quarter 2012. If the board of directors declares future cash dividends, it is anticipated that they will be paid around the end of each quarter (March, June, September, and December).
2. When should I expect to receive my common stock dividend payment?
Generally, shareholders who own Principal Financial Group, Inc. common stock should receive their dividend payment within a week after the dividend payable date.
If your shares are registered at our transfer agent, Computershare, and you have not received your dividend payment within 10 business days after the payable date, contact Computershare at 866.781.1368.
If your shares are held by your broker and you have not received notice of the dividend within 10 business days after the payable date, contact your broker.
3. Why did The Principal change to a quarterly dividend payout?
The change to a quarterly dividend demonstrates our commitment to consistently returning capital to our shareholders and is just one of many ways we carefully consider to increase long-term value for our shareholders.
4. How is the dividend rate determined?
The declaration, payment and amount of our common stock dividend is based on several factors deemed relevant by the board of directors. Those factors include results of operation, financial condition, cash requirements, available capital, future outlook and regulatory restrictions.
5. Can I expect to continue receiving dividends if I hold Principal Financial Group, Inc. common stock?
The board of directors regularly reviews pertinent information and takes steps to maximize the long-term value of The Principal to its shareholders. Although a dividend is never guaranteed, a dividend has consistently been paid since becoming a public company in 2001.
6. Can I reinvest my dividends?
The Principal does not currently offer a dividend reinvestment plan.
7. Can I direct my dividends to be deposited electronically to my bank account?Yes, you may contact Computershare at 866.781.1368 for an automatic deposit authorization form.
8. Are there any tax consequences related to receiving a common stock dividend?
Dividends paid to individual shareholders are generally considered taxable income. For additional information, we suggest you contact your tax advisor.
9. When will I receive my 1099-DIV form?
If your shares are held at Computershare, the Form 1099-DIV and yearly dividend information is attached to your fourth quarter dividend check (payable in December).
If your quarterly dividend payments are being deposited electronically to your bank account, Computershare will mail your 1099-DIV form by the end of December.
If you have sold your shares during the year, Computershare will mail your 1099-DIV form by the end of December.
If your shares are held at a brokerage firm, you should contact them.
10. What if taxes are withheld from my common stock dividend?
To avoid withholding from future cash dividends, you must certify your taxpayer identification number. To certify your number, visit www.computershare.com/investor, or call Computershare at 866.781.1368 for instructions.
11. Will the dividend I receive as a shareholder affect the dividends I receive as a policyholder?
No. Owners of dividend-paying policies issued by Principal Life Insurance Company continue to be eligible for policyholder dividends, as declared by its board. As always, policyholder dividends are not guaranteed and will vary due to factors such as investment and mortality experience.
12. How is the common stock dividend different from the preferred stock dividend?
The common stock and preferred stock dividends are unrelated. For common stock, the board of directors of The Principal regularly reviews the many factors that they deem relevant before deciding the amount and declaring any common stock dividend. Preferred stock dividends have a fixed rate and are also different in that there are restrictions that must be taken into account by the board before declaring a dividend.
If you have other questions about your common stock, please contact our transfer agent, Computershare, at 866.781.1368.