Boost your financial literacy
Financial know-how really can help you achieve your financial goals. In fact, a recent study says increased financial literacy tends to result in increased retirement planning — and that increased planning has been shown to boost wealth.
Clearly, learning more about managing money is worth the investment of your time. These steps can help you get started:
- Review your account information. Log in a few times each month to keep tabs on how you're doing.
- Sign up for text message alerts. You can choose how often you want to receive automatic account balance and rate of return updates via text message.
- Download The Principal mobile app. View your retirement account information anytime and anywhere with our free mobile app for iPhone®, AndroidTM or BlackBerry®.
- Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. Get free financial tips, tools and more.
- Become familiar with sites like aarp.org, ssa.gov, medicare.gov, mymoney.gov. These sites are valuable resources for all kinds of retirement planning issues.
- Read financial magazines or newspaper articles. Consider subscribing to a new publication — or pay closer attention to the financial sections of the newspapers or magazines you already receive.
- Find financial websites, commentators or bloggers you like. Use your favorite magazines, newspapers, news shows or an online search to find experts who speak to your life stage or goals, and keep up with what they have to say. Note that you'll find financial journalist Jean Chatzky on our website.
- Work with a financial professional. Don't go it alone. A financial professional can help you identify your goals and create a strategy to help achieve them.
Keep us posted.
Let us know which of the action items you complete, and share any other helpful tips you discover.
- "Financial Literacy, Retirement Planning and Household Wealth," The Economic Journal, April 12, 2012.
Jean Chatzky is a compensated financial commentator, is not affiliated with any company of the Principal Financial Group and the views she expresses are not necessarily those of any member company of the Principal Financial Group.
Insurance products and plan administrative services are provided by Principal Life Insurance Company. Securities are offered through Princor Financial Services Corporation, 1-800-547-7754, Member SIPC and/or independent broker dealers. Securities sold by a Princor® Registered Representative are offered through Princor. Princor and Principal Life are members of the Principal Financial Group® (The Principal®), Des Moines, IA 50392.