Make the most of your employer's retirement plan
Your employer's defined contribution retirement plan is an important retirement savings vehicle. Find out how to take advantage of this savings opportunity.
Think about these advantages
- Provides you with automatic payroll deductions to make it easier to save
- Reduces your overall taxable income through pre-tax contributions, which means current tax savings for you
Determine how much you can contribute
- Determine your retirement savings goal and see how your contribution amount impacts your savings at retirement
Are you ready to enroll?
If your employer has its retirement plan through the Principal Financial Group®, check with your employer to see if you are eligible to enroll. If you are eligible and they offer online enrollment, you may be able to enroll online today and start saving for your retirement.
If you're not eligible to enroll yet, consider opening an IRA so you can start saving for retirement.
Are you already participating?
Consider increasing your contributions
Did you know that even a small increase in your contributions may make a big difference?
The following charts and calculators show you how much of an impact a small change may make:
- Compare contribution amounts at a glance
- See how increasing your contributions can impact your paycheck and savings at retirement
Get online access to retirement account information
When you login to view retirement account information online, you may also be able to:
- Make changes to your investment strategy and rebalance retirement investment options
- Research investment options and performance (including charts and graphs)
- View your personal rate of return
- Look up account activity details
- Access retirement planning and investment-related articles
- Use calculators to help you plan for retirement
Do you have multiple retirement accounts from old employers?
Combine your retirement savings for single account simplicity
If you have multiple retirement accounts, it may make sense for you to move money from your old retirement plan into your new company's retirement plan. Or, roll over your retirement accounts into an IRA.
If you're interested in combining your accounts:
- If your new company's retirement plan is with the Principal Financial Group® call us at 1.800.547.7754 to get help combining your accounts.
- If your old company's retirement plan is with another company and your new employer’s plan is not with The Principal, learn how a rollover IRA can keep your money tax-deferred, while providing a wide range of investment options.