Defined Contribution Plans
The Principal® is one of the leading service providers of defined contribution (DC) plans, such as 401(k) and 403(b) plans. We have over $148 billion in DC plan assets under management and provide services to more than 33,000 plan sponsors and 3.8 million participants.
Serving Retirement Plans of All Sizes
We support a diverse client base with a wide variety of plan designs and service arrangements, including:
- 401(k), 403(b), 401(a), KSOP, Individual 401(k)
- For profit, tax-exempt, governmental, union
- Start-ups through institutional-sized plans
- Simple to very complex plan designs
- Full-service or third-party administrator (TPA) service arrangements
- Multiple plans including integrated services for multiple plan types
We offer a full range of retirement plan services, including:
- Plan design, consulting and administrative services, including a robust plan sponsor website
- Recordkeeping, including an electronic Form 5500 filing system and audit support line
- Plan compliance testing, including reports for government filings ready for your review, signature and filing
- Plan and investment fiduciary support and services
- Advocacy and assistance with legislative and regulatory changes
- On-site participant enrollment and education services
- Participant website, call center and retirement income planning services
Selecting investment options for a retirement plan is one of the most important tasks of a plan fiduciary. We make available a comprehensive set of choices and services, including:
- More than 70 investment options where we manage the investment strategy and underlying investment managers
- Access to more than 3,600 outside retail mutual funds
- Among the most comprehensive set of asset allocation choices in the industry
- Investment fiduciary support and services
Retirement plans are becoming increasingly important to American workers as traditional sources of retirement income fade. In this new era of personal responsibility, participants need more help than ever planning for retirement.
We focus on Retirement Readiness: helping participants achieve a more sufficient level of income in retirement. We weave it into everything we do - from on-site meetings to web-based programs, mobile apps and statements.
You play a role too. We encourage plan sponsors to implement plan design features that can help employees achieve their goals. We show you the results with an annual Retirement Readiness Report that includes standard metrics for the plan as well as a retirement income replacement ratio analysis.
Our Quality Promise
Our goal is to provide you with quality service for your retirement program. We're so confident in our ability to provide outstanding service that we warrant it.
We promise to provide quality service in a competent, capable and effective manner. If we don't, we'll either fix the problem or we'll waive the fee for that service. We also indemnify the appropriate fiduciary with respect to their liability, losses, and reasonable expenses directly incurred by them if we fail to perform a particular service in the agreed manner,.
- Based on number of recordkeeping plans, PLANSPONSOR Recordkeeping Survey, June 2014
- As of 6/30/2014
- As of 9/30/2014
- The service warranty is provided by Principal Life Insurance Company.
- For informational purposes only and does not affect the terms and provisions defined in any term or provision of the Service Warranty. For comprehensive warranty details on the levels of coverage we offer, see the Service Warranty document.
- In general, nonqualified plans are not regulated under ERISA. Different investment products and financing options apply to nonqualified plans. No member company of The Principal assumes any additional fiduciary responsibility for any nonqualified deferred compensation plan. For purpose of nonqualified plans and plans not subject to ERISA, Principal Life indemnifies the Plan Representative who signs the Service Agreement.