Help with Profiles
How to create and manage your Principal Career Tools profile
Your Career Tools profile is where we store your saved resumes, job applications, and saved job searches, so you don’t have to start from scratch every time you search jobs or apply for a job.
You don’t have to create a profile to search or view jobs, but you do have to create one if you want to apply for a job.
Creating a profile is easy and only takes a minute. Start by heading to the Career Tools login page.
You can get there by clicking on “Log In” at the top of any Principal.com page and choosing “Careers” as your login type, or by clicking on “Apply” from a specific job posting.
- From the Career Tools login page, click “Create them now” next to “Don’t have a username and password?”
- Confirm your consent to do business electronically. (This just means you can apply for jobs online—you’ll need to consent to continue.)
- Create a username and password.
- Choose a “Security Phrase Question” from the drop-down list and answer the question.
- Click “Submit”.
- Click “Continue” to go to the Career Tools page and start searching and applying!
Usernames must be between 8 and 32 characters, including 2 numbers, with NO special characters (!, #, @) or spaces. You may include CAPS, but they are not required.
Passwords must be between 8 and 32 characters, including at least one number (0–9) and letter (A-Z), with NO special characters (!, #, @) or spaces. You may include CAPS, but they are not required.
- Login by entering your username and password and click "Continue".
- Click “Edit your contact information” at the bottom of the page.
- Make the necessary changes to your name, address, phone number(s), and/or e-mail address.
- Click “Save changes” (don't forget this step!).
- You will be returned to the Career Tools page when your changes are saved.
Don’t worry; it happens! It’s easy to recover your username or reset your password online.
If you forgot your username
- Click “Forgot your username?” during the Career Tools login process.
- Enter the email address that you used when you created your profile and click “Submit”.
- A message will appear indicating that your username has been sent to the email address you entered.
- Click “Continue”, and you'll be returned to the Career Tools Login page.
If you forgot your password
- Click “Forgot your password?” during the Career Tools login process.
- Enter your username and click “Continue”.
- Enter the answer to the ”Security Phrase Question” and click “Continue”.
- Enter a new password.
- Re-enter the new password and click “Submit”.
- A message will appear indicating that your password has been changed.
- Click “Proceed to Login”.
You can use a variety of computers that may be available to you:
- Our recruiting office located at 650 8th St., Des Moines, IA. 50309
- The Public Library in your city (Des Moines, Urbandale, etc.) has computers available for public use
- Iowa Workforce Development and other job search agencies may have computers
A recruiter could discover your profile when searching the database for matches to the job qualifications; however, recruiters use a variety of methods to fill jobs. We encourage you to search and apply for positions you meet the qualifications for and have an interest in. If you are unable to find a position at this time, please consider using our Job Search Email Alert to be automatically notified about new postings matching criteria you set.