Recent Graduates & Current Students
Pursue your calling and make an impact.
We know it’s important to get off to a great start with your career. The Principal offers multiple opportunities to gain experience, make connections, and provide fast-tracked opportunities to learn our business from the inside out.
- The Leadership Development Program
- The Principal Leadership Conference
Take your leadership skills to the next level
Forward-thinking candidates can apply to participate in our rotational Leadership Development Program (LDP). The LDP is a three-year program designed to offer customized rotations in multiple areas of the company to further development before committing to a path.
A select number of high-performing college graduates each year will benefit from:
- Mentorships with senior managers
- Participation in quarterly earnings call debriefs
- Leadership skills assessments and development plans
- Active engagement in learning projects with other LDP participants
- Personal interaction with analysts, investors and Principal team members
- Full-time pay and benefits
If you have demonstrated leadership skills, a proven track record of academic excellence and an appetite for challenge, the LDP may be a great fit for you.
Applications are accepted from April through August with interviews occurring during that timeframe as well. Create your profile to upload your resume.
Opportunities for current students
As a leader in the financial services industry with a global reach and a focus on flexibility, The Principal is the perfect place to begin your career.
Gain hands-on experience with a summer internship, or earn more in-depth training with a six- to nine-month extended internship in the specific field you’re interested in pursuing—all with a competitive hourly rate, a housing allowance and opportunities for scholarships.
Interns also have access to employee perks like:
- Free parking during business hours
- Fitness facilities/classes
- Intramural sports team
- Discounts at businesses in Des Moines
Internship participants are placed in high-impact, high-profile roles designed to assess their full potential and help them develop professional and technical skills.
The Principal Leadership Conference
High-performing first-year college students have the opportunity to attend a two-day conference in Des Moines.
If you are selected to attend you will:
- Be entered to win a scholarship*
- Get an inside look at one of the largest corporations in Iowa
- Learn tips to become a more marketable job candidate
- Network with recruiters and hiring leaders at The Principal
- Participate in a mentoring program
- Build your network with other student leaders
Applications are accepted in January and February of each year.
Katelyn, Financial Accounting Intern, Des Moines, IA
The Principal is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer and an E-Verify participant. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. View employment policies at The Principal.
If you live in or are applying for work in NJ, there are state laws protecting you against employment discrimination. View your rights in NJ (PDF).
*Scholarship funds must be used towards educational expenses for the following academic year.