Questions About the Hiring Process
How we review applications, conduct interviews, and do background checks
A recruiter will review all resumes we receive for a job posting.
Resumes will be selected if they match the qualifications listed.
An email is sent to those applicants whose resumes are declined (and the application status will change to “Decline”).
A recruiter will contact you if you’re selected to continue.
See Help with Saved Resumes and Applications to learn how to check your application status.
The first interview will take place via telephone with a recruiter, who will ask about your previous experience, background, and interests.
Once first interviews are completed, the recruiter will suggest candidates to be interviewed by the Hiring Manager.
Normally, the next interview takes place in person, unless for some reason the candidate is unable be there in person.
During all of the above steps, the status shown on the Applications page is “Interview".
Once all interviews are complete, you will be notified of the decision either by email or phone.
Be prepared to address questions about your previous experience, your professional background, and your career interests!
The Principal Financial Group requires that all applicants successfully complete a background check prior to employment.
If an issue arises with the background check, you will be overnighted a copy of the results, along with an address to mail your response within a specified time.
If the issue cannot be resolved, you will be notified in writing.
When you apply for a position, your information is sent directly to a recruiter, and you will receive an email acknowledging that we’ve received your resume.
Our recruiters review applications on an ongoing basis, and you’ll hear from us either way. If you’re not selected for an interview, you’ll receive a “decline" email notification.
The background checks we perform depend largely on the type of position you are applying for. A criminal background check is done for every potential employee. Based on the position you are being considered for we may also include any of the following:
- Credit Check
- Education Check
- Work History
- Motor Vehicle Report
Once you’ve passed the background check, the recruiter will contact you to make an offer of employment.
If you accept the offer of employment, the online status of your application will change to “Offer Accepted".
Once all the necessary paperwork is completed and you’ve provided any required documentation, the status will change to “Hired".
From the Career Tools page, click “View applications". The “Status" column indicates where your application is in the recruiting process:
- “Applied” means your application was received and is being reviewed.
- “Interview” means you’ve been scheduled for an interview with a recruiter or the hiring manager.
- “Decline” means the hiring manager didn’t feel you were a good fit for this particular position. An immediate email notification is sent to you when your application is declined.
- “Withdrawn” means you withdrew your application.
- “Offer Accepted” means you’ve accepted an offer of employment for this position.
- “Hired” means you’ve been officially hired for this position.
- “Linked” means that a recruiter has manually matched your saved resume to this position (you did not submit an application to this specific position).