Helping people is an important part of our culture at The Principal®. That's why the company, its employees and the Principal Financial Group Foundation, Inc., work together to give back in a variety of ways.
Our charitable giving is based on a simple philosophy: by targeting our contributions toward entities that have the greatest impact on our employees and marketers, customers, shareholders and businesses, we are able to make the greatest difference.
LIVING UNITED at The Principal
Our culture of caring, community and giving has deep roots. The Principal Financial Group® has been conducting an annual charitable campaign supporting the organization we now know as the United Way since the 1920s.
Some 90 years later, our commitment to that organization is as strong as ever. For three weeks out of the year, the United Way campaign gives our 13,400 U.S. employees a chance to pull together as one big team and rally around our communities. We make pledging quick and easy, and 100 percent of donations — as well as our dollar-for-dollar match — stays in their local community.
2014 campaign results
- Employees and retirees pledged $3.51 million
- With our unlimited dollar-for-dollar match, The Principal total contribution to United Ways across the country totaled $7.02 million
- Nearly 75 percent of our employees participated. And we had 147 new leadership givers (employees who pledged $1,000 or more)—bringing our total number of leadership givers company-wide to more than 800!
- Contributors designated their gifts to more than 1,400 local United Way chapters and agencies across the United States. And all of the United Way donations stay within their own communities.
- More than 1,400 employees participated in United Way Day of Action events.
The Principal Charity Classic
The Principal is the title sponsor of The Principal Charity Classic, a PGA Champions Tour Event. The event attracts tens of thousands of spectators, brings in millions of dollars in revenue for local businesses and—most importantly—helps thousands of area children. Over the last eight years The Principal has helped to raise over $6 million, the proceeds of which have benefited Central Iowa nonprofits.
In 2014 The Principal Charity Classic donated a record $1,367,749 to local children's charities, making it the most charitable Champions Tour event in the nation. The recipients of these donations are 130 Birdies for Charities organizations and our five Fore Our Kids organizations in the Des Moines area:
- Blank Children's Hospital
- The Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines
- United Way of Central Iowa
- Bravo Greater Des Moines
- Variety—The Children's Charity of Iowa
Other ways we give back
Helping people is an important part of our culture at The Principal. That's why the company, its employees and the Principal Financial Group Foundation, Inc., work together to give back in a variety of ways.
The Principal® and the Principal Financial Group Foundation, Inc., have embraced corporate responsibility by awarding more than $100 million to nonprofit organizations that are making a difference in the communities where our employees work and live.
We help deserving organizations spend less on items like office supplies, equipment and computers by giving in-kind donations. These small gifts can make big impacts.
One of the ways the Principal Financial Group® gives back to the communities in which we operate is by providing support in times of trouble. We provide financial assistance during natural disasters and other emergencies.