Part of our Mental health and well-being series
Employee mental health: Focus on EAPs (employee assistance programs)
Many businesses with an EAP provider (including tens of thousands of Principal clients, through Magellan Health) may not realize all the well-being resources they can access through such programs.
An EAP offers a range of services to help employees and their families live their best lives, typically including 24-7 phone consultation with licensed mental health professionals and referrals to supportive resources.
“There’s a whole variety of life assistance available,” says Dr. Steven E. Pratt, senior medical director for Magellan and its overall individual member base of 13.8 million. “We have a vast array of those kinds of services, such as finding childcare.”
How an EAP can help your employees and the overall health of your business:
- EAP phone coaches offer sessions with employees to help them identify and practice coping skills to manage stress and improve their mental health. It’s a first step, Pratt says, and there’s been a dramatic increase this year in the use of phone coaching.
- A variety of substance use concerns can be treated with EAP services.
- The range of EAP life-assistance services also may include childcare, elder care, responding to ID theft or other forms of fraud, or other general wellness programs.
- More intensive training on “reflective listening” and “motivational interviewing” may be available to managers to help improve overall workplace well-being.
- Magellan’s Critical Incident Response (CIR) team is a specially trained clinical staff continuously on call. CIR consultants help employees process and manage the emotional and physical effects of a traumatic event in the workplace. After an assessment, a CIR consultant may be deployed to help handle the emergency on site.
The subject matter in this communication is educational only and provided with the understanding that Principal® is not rendering legal, accounting, investment advice or tax advice. You should consult with appropriate counsel or other professionals on all matters pertaining to legal, tax, investment or accounting obligations and requirements.
Insurance products and plan administrative services provided through Principal Life Insurance Co. a member of the Principal Financial Group®, Des Moines, Iowa 50392.