Your savings action plan: Take control of your retirement
Are your retirement savings on track? Will they generate enough income to last you through your retirement? Are you making progress toward other savings goals? Don’t worry—Principal® can help.
Process to take control of your retirement savings
Our step-by-step process will help you take control of your savings and begin building the future you deserve.
1. Gather financial statements
- Social Security statement
- Savings account statements
- Retirement account and pension plan statements
- Statements from other accounts you plan to use for retirement funding
- Amount you contribute to your retirement plan each pay period (percent of pay or dollar amount)
As you're gathering information, consider what age you'd like to retire.
2. Enter your information into our Retirement Wellness Planner
This simple online tool crunches the numbers for you. You'll see approximately how much income you’ll need each month during retirement, any estimated surplus or gap, and your Retirement Wellness Score.
3. Talk with your financial professional
If you do have an income gap, find a financial advisor—or contact your current one—to find ways to make small changes that add up to a big impact on your score.
4. Check your progress
Come back to re-enter your information each year, and consult The Principal for more savings advice, tools, and resources to keep your savings strategy on target.