Help with Insurance
Get answers to common questions about submitting insurance claims, naming beneficiaries, and more.
How can we help you today?
For individual life insurance, call us at 800-331-2213, we will assist you through the process. If your life insurance is through work, you need to contact your employer to get the appropriate claims form.
You can notify us that you need to file a claim in variety of ways. Once you notify us, we will send you the forms you need.
- Call us at 800-422-3788 to talk to someone from 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. CT or leave a voice mail after 5 p.m.
- Fax us at 866-317-4526
- Email us at IndividualDisabilityClaims@exchange.principal.com
Or, you can access the forms online:
- Disability Claim Notice - includes a HIPAA authorization form
- For non-psychiatric and/or substance abuse claims:
- Attending Physician's Statement - to be completed by the physician treating you
- For psychiatric and/or substance abuse claims:
Once the completed claim forms are received, your Claim Analyst will contact you. We also contact your physician and employer to gather any additional information. Through the review process, you are kept up-to-date on the status of your claim. Contact your Claim Analyst with any questions or requests.
You'll need to submit your federal tax returns to validate your occupation and earnings. If you have a residual disability, you'll also need to submit financial documentation to help us determine your monthly benefit. Financial documentation requirements vary depending on your employment status (whether you are an employee, self-employed, a partner, or a shareholder of a corporation). Common types of financial documents requested are: W-2s, IRS Form 1040s, IRS Schedule Cs, IRS Forms 1120, 1120S or 1065, monthly profit and loss statements and employment pay stubs.
Depending on your specific claim, once we receive all claim requirements you can expect a decision within five to seven business days. If additional information is needed, we communicate this.