Help with Insurance

Get answers to common questions about submitting insurance claims, naming beneficiaries, and more.

How can we help you today?

For individual life insurance, call us at 800-331-2213, we will assist you through the process.  If your life insurance is through work, you need to contact your employer to get the appropriate claims form. 

If you purchased individual disability insurance (IDI) through an advisor, contact us and we’ll send you the forms you need.

Or, you can download our Disability Claim Notice form (PDF) now, which includes a HIPAA authorization form. You’ll also need to provide one of the following:

Once we receive your completed claim forms, your Claim Analyst will contact you. We’ll also contact your physician and employer to gather any additional information. Throughout the review process, we’ll keep you up to date on the status of your claim, and you can always talk to your Claim Analyst about any questions or requests.

If you purchased disability insurance through your employer, you can submit your claim online, or download the Disability Claim Form (PDF) to fax or mail. 

  • Fax: 800-255-6609
  • Mail: Principal Life Insurance Company, Attn: Group Life & Disability Claims Department, Des Moines, IA  50392-0002

You'll need to submit your federal tax returns to validate your occupation and earnings. If you have a residual disability, you'll also need to submit financial documentation to help us determine your monthly benefit. Financial documentation requirements vary depending on your employment status (whether you are an employee, self-employed, a partner, or a shareholder of a corporation). Common types of financial documents requested are: W-2s, IRS Form 1040s, IRS Schedule Cs, IRS Forms 1120, 1120S or 1065, monthly profit and loss statements and employment pay stubs.

Depending on your specific claim, once we receive all claim requirements you can expect a decision within five to seven business days. If additional information is needed, we communicate this.

Are you an employer with Principal benefits?
Don't see the topic you need help with?

Give us a call at 800-986-3343 or send us an email.