The Principal 10 Best Companies for Employee Financial Security
The Principal® 10 Best Companies for Employee Financial Security is a national program that recognizes small and mid-sized companies that excel at giving their employees a financial edge. The Principal works with Inc. to help reach even more companies and uncover innovation in employee financial security.
Congratulations to the 2015 winners!
For the 14th year in a row, the Principal Financial Group honors the winners of The Principal® 10 Best Companies for Employee Financial Security. New this year – we’ve included three Honorable Mentions outside of our 10 Best winners.
This years winners and honorable mentions represent a diverse array of organizations in size, industry and geography. Learn more about the companies and what sets them apart.
Read what Inc. Magazine says about this year's winners
Our winning companies create a culture of employee empowerment while providing the right mix of benefits.
The Principal Financial Group understands that financial security is a critical element in employers’ success in recruiting, retaining and motivating their employees. And growing businesses that provide for their employees financial futures deserve to be recognized.
The 2015 winners and honorable mentions have been announced, entries for 2016 will begin in the spring.
What Winning Companies Receive
The companies chosen as The Principal 10 Best Companies for Employee Financial Security are held up as role models, setting the standard for excellence in employee benefits. The winners receive:
- Recognition in a 2015 issue of Inc. Magazine
- A pass to the 2015 Inc. 5000 Conference in Orlando, FL (10/21 – 10/23)
- National and local recognition in the media
- A donation of $2,500 to a local charity
- A crystal award for company display
- The ability to use the 10 Best winning honor for recruiting and retention efforts
Eligibility Requirements to Enter
- Entrants must be a non-governmental business entity or non-profit organization, organized and located in the United States.
- Companies must be incorporated in one of the 50 United States and have an ongoing business concern in the U.S.
- Entrants must have at least five and no more than 1,000 employees, both at the time the entry is submitted and when award determination is made.
- Entities that are subsidiaries of other companies will qualify if the total number of employees worldwide in the parent company and all subsidiaries does not exceed 1,000. In determining the number of employees, full-time, part-time and temporary employees count toward the total number of employees.
- An exception can be made when the entrant is a subsidiary, but the entrant itself has 1,000 or fewer employees and controls and pays for the benefits offered. In order for the entrant to qualify, the parent company must certify that the subsidiary controls and pays for the benefits offered to its employees independent of the parent company.
- All entrants must provide a broad range of employee benefits for at least five years.
- No entry fee is required.
- Companies do not have to be clients of The Principal. Providers of benefits are not known during any part of the entry or review process.
- Companies owned by employees of The Principal are not eligible to enter.
- If a company has won previously they must wait 5 years to enter again.
Quick Qualification Check
The 2015 program is now closed. To see if you qualify for The Principal 10 Best Companies program, please visit the site in the spring of 2016 when we launch the next call for entries.
How are winners selected?
An independent panel of experts will select the winners based on the full scope of their commitment to their employees’ financial security.
What are the criteria?
Companies are evaluated based on factors including:
- The range of financial benefits offered: How well do the benefits that companies offer address the key components of financial security, from defined contribution accounts to health coverage to various forms of insurance, and more.
- A broader commitment to the financial security of employees as demonstrated by the company's culture, financial education and communications efforts, training and development opportunities, work/life balance accommodations, and other programs and policies that influence employees overall financial security.
- Each entrant's strength of benefits, employee retention rate, and other selection criteria will also be considered.
Winners will be chosen based on survey data and phone interviews (finalists only). Providers of benefits are not named or considered during any part of the entry, judging, or recognition process.
Winners of The Principal 10 Best
The Principal® 10 Best Companies for 2015.
- Alterman Group, Inc.
- Atrion, Inc.
- Customized Energy Solutions
- Hudson Valley Federal Credit Union
- International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
- MSU Federal Credit Union
- MZA Associates Corporation
- USD Group LLC
- We Insure Group, Inc.
Honorable Mentions of The Principal 10 Best
The following companies were named Honorable Mentions of The Principal® 10 Best Companies for 2015.
- Kitewire, Inc.
- Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.
- Van Meter, Inc.