Request a grant
We are sensitive to the impacts the coronavirus may have on some of our community partners. If your organization has any challenges in completing your evaluation and application, please do not hesitate to reach out. We will do our best to accommodate your needs as you focus on fulfilling your missions and keeping your employees safe.
Principal Foundation is focused on helping people learn more, earn more, and save more.
Our community Grant Program primarily invests in work that promotes financial security, with an emphasis on serving youth ages 15 – 30. All grant programs are invite-only.
By partnering with community organizations and social enterprises where our employees live and work, we can come together to help individuals live their best lives.
Our funding priorities are rooted in our business’ values. We believe a stronger future begins when we collaborate towards a common goal.
Focus areas & application deadlines
We do not have dates for 2021 submissions. We will provide those as soon as they are set.
Financial Security Grants
Financial security grants make up the majority our overall investments. We fund organizations and programs focused on:
- Professional skill-building and job training
- Access to savings, credit-building, and financial coaching
- Increase in savings due to resource-building
Talent-focused education grants
Talent-focused education investments include K-12 educational organizations that provide Principal® business-related STEM programming. We also partner with select colleges, universities, and other higher education programs to continue driving business talent development.
Strong Communities Grants
We support partner organizations that provide arts, cultural, and/or recreational activities at a free or near-free cost to children and families, especially for individuals who otherwise would not have access to that type of programming.
If your programming doesn’t align to our grantmaking priorities, tapping into our in-kind giving program or volunteer engagement might be a better fit.
Principal Foundation and Community Relations generally sponsors not-for-profits’ events that align with our Financial Security focus area. As most of our sponsorship budget is allocated 18 to 24 months in advance, we recommend early requests, and require a minimum of one month between request review deadlines (see below) and an event. If request timing becomes a challenge for your organization, we encourage you to consider engagement with Principal employees.
The Principal Foundation and Community Relations sponsorship program is on hold through March 2021. Please check back in April for new information regarding our sponsorship program.
Match giving and volunteerism
Principal Foundation encourages our employees to engage with the community. Our match giving programs support volunteerism and promote philanthropy. Eligible employees access and record these opportunities on the YourCause platform.
Dollars for Givers
- United Way: Our signature partnership with United Way is at the center of our employee match giving program. We amplify employee, retiree, and agent charitable contributions with an equal match to their local United Way.
- Board Service Matching: Principal employees who serve on the board of a non-profit organization can apply for an annual direct match of donations to that organization, up to $1,500 annually
Dollars for Doers
Direct funds to organizations where our employees volunteer:
- Individual Volunteer Grants: When employees volunteer over 25 hours with a single organization in a calendar year, they become eligible for mini grants—up to a $1,000 annually per employee.
- Team Volunteer Grants: Teams of 5 or more Principal employees volunteering together for a project can qualify for mini grants to support that organization. Grants range from $500-2,000, depending on the number of employees involved.
Principal Charity Classic
We also recommend Iowa-based K-12 organizations explore the Birdies for Charity program connected to the Principal Charity Classic. The Principal Charity Classic is an annual and award-winning PGA TOUR Champions event dedicated to investing in the future of Iowa kids. The tournament’s giving now exceeds $17.7 million since 2007.