Our expertise spans the globe, but we’re bound by one common purpose: to give you the financial tools, resources and information you need to live your best life.
Whether you’re looking to secure your own retirement or your clients’, we’ll work with you to find strategies that are right for you to help you meet your specific, long-term portfolio goals.
- Retirement plans: #1 provider of Defined Benefit retirement plans1, #1 recordkeeper of Employee Stock Ownership Plans2, and #1 provider of Nonqualified Deferred Compensation plans3
- Insurance: The #4 non-medical carrier5
- Mutual funds: #4 manager of target-date lifecycle mutual funds in the U.S.6
- Workplace culture: Top of category for Best Place to Work in Money Management7, Best Place to Work in Information Technology8, and One of America's Best Employers10
- Company ethics: One of the World's Most Ethical Companies9 and #3 Greenest CRE Company4
We have $547.7 billion11 in assets under management, and you can trust us to manage your money, too. Join our 19.2 million11 customers worldwide, whom we serve through a national (U.S.) network of financial professionals and a diverse family of companies with offices in 18 countries.
Many middle-income folks don't want to become investment experts, but they can and do articulate what they are trying to achieve. We provide them with the tools.
Des Moines, IA
Join our team.
Explore global career opportunities and find out why working here is so much more than just a job.
Careers at The Principal
Why invest with us?
Diverse needs call for diverse strategies. Learn all about how we do business, and view our financials, company news, and stock information.
Visit Investor Relations
1 PLAN SPONSOR magazine, DB Administration Survey, May 2015
2 Based on the number of plans, PLAN SPONSOR Recordkeeping Survey, June 2015
3 Based on total number of NQDC plans, PLAN SPONSOR 2015 NQDC Buyer's Guide, July 2015
4 Commercial Property Executive Published March 2014, “2014 Greenest CRE Companies” list.
5 LIMRA International 2014 U.S. Sales and In-Force Survey Reports, based on fully insured contracts in force.
6 Principal Funds ranked as the fourth largest manager of target-date lifecycle funds in the United States by Financial Research Corporation Lifecycle Fund Analytic Report. September 2011. “Active multi-managed target-date choices” describes the underlying assets.
7 Pensions & Investments, “The Best Places to Work in Money Management among companies with 1,000 or more employees,” December 14, 2015
8 Computerworld, 2015
9 Ethisphere Institute, 2015
10 Forbes, 2015
11 As of March 31, 2016