Careers at Principal
Our hiring process
After you apply, our teams of dedicated recruiting professionals carefully review all applications to determine potential next steps. Generally within a few weeks of submitting your application, decisions for 1st round interviews will be made.
If selected for 1st round interviews, you’ll be asked to complete either a video or phone interview with a recruiter. The recruiter will then recommend candidates to interview with the hiring manager. If you’re selected for a 2nd round interview, you’ll speak with the leaders either in person, or via a phone or video call. The number of interviews varies from position to position.
If you’re a good fit for the position, you may get a job offer. Usually, this happens within a few weeks after interviewing with the leaders/hiring team. If you choose to accept the offer, we’ll follow up with next steps.
A people-first reputation
Of all the accolades we've received at Principal, we're proudest of being recognized as a top workplace for employees by a variety of publications and associations. Here are some recent awards:
- Recognized by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers. (May 2018)
- Earned a spot among the top 7 companies with 1,000 or more employees in Pensions & Investments' annual list of the Best Places to Work in Money Management for 7 consecutive years. (December 2018)
- Recognized by Working Mother as one of the 2018 Working Mother 100 Best Companies.
- Ranked #1 on Forbes list of Best Employers for Women. (July 2018)
- Included in the top 10 on the list of America's Best Employers for Diversity. (January 2019)
- Named one of the NAFE Top Companies for Executive Women by the National Association for Female Executives—this is our 18th year on the list. (March 2019)
- Recognized by IDG's Computerworld as one if its 100 Best Places to Work in IT for 17 consecutive years, ranking 29th for 2018. (June 2018)
- Scored 100 out of 100 on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation Corporate Equality Index for support of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer equality in the workplace. (November 2017)
- Names to Fortune Top 50 Best Places to Work for Giving Back. (February 2018)
- One of Forbes and JUST Capital's Most JUST companies in America. (December 2018)
Our core values
What you can expect from us
We’re committed to providing you with what you need to do your best work. Here’s a few ways we celebrate, recognize, and reward the value created from our customers.
- Total rewards approach. We offer fair pay to help you save enough, protect enough, and have enough—because it’s what we do. Our life enhancing benefits include physical, emotional, mental, and financial wellbeing programs.
- More than just great customer service. We help you understand our customers in meaningful ways. And you'll understand our vision, so you can prioritize your work and deliver value.
- Respect for your unique perspective. What we do matters. We provide an environment based on integrity, inclusion, and trust.
- Continuous learning while doing challenging work. We welcome innovative ideas from all employees. You get to try new things, do important work, and make a difference.
- Work-life flexibility. You can have a great career and a great life. We provide the flexibility you need to best fit your work and your life.
What we expect from our employees
How we do our work is just as important as the work we do. Our core values are the ideals on which we refuse to compromise in pursuit of our purpose—to foster a world where financial security is accessible to all. These are our core values:
- Start with the customer. We start with and solve for our customers—every day and with every decision.
- Do what’s right. Integrity is nonnegotiable. It guides everything we do.
- Own what’s next. We continuously learn and advance ourselves in pursuit of tomorrow.
- Invest for our future. We make smart decisions with our resources to ensure our customers future success and ours.
Ask about reasonable accommodation
If at any stage of the employment application process you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, contact Human Resources. Read our employment policies for more information.
Principal is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer and an E-Verify participant. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. View employment policies at Principal. If you live in or are applying for work in NJ, there are state laws protecting you against employment discrimination. View your rights in NJ (PDF).