Join our dental network
Join one of the largest Preferred Provider Organizations (PPO) in the nation.
You’ll be part of a dental network that’s committed to providing high-quality, affordable dental care for our members. We forge strong relationships with our providers—and encourage you and your patients to do the same.
We want to make it as easy as possible for you to provide services to our members. That’s why we help you every step of the way. You’ll receive the support needed to get quick answers and resolve any issues that may come up.
Benefits of becoming a provider
- Publication in our online and printed directories
- High-quality, highly vetted provider membership
- Dedicated Provider Relations department
- Competitive compensation program
- Automatically a member of 2 networks
- Online resources, including eligibility and benefit verification
- Access to discounted products and services
When you become one of our providers, you’re automatically part of 2 networks:
Principal Plan Dental Network
- Serves over 2 million members nationwide with dental insurance from Principal and other companies who use our network, including:
- Ameritas (Classic PPO)
- Aetna (Dental PPO with PPO II)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (Blue Dental PPO)
- Dental Select
- First Priority Health
- First Priority Life
- Highmark Companies
- Meritain Health effective 10/01/2021
- Physicians Mutual
- Reliance Standard
- United Concordia (Elite Plus)
Principal Dental Access Network*
- Serves members with New Dental Choice, a dental discount plan from First Dental Health, a member of the Principal Financial Group®. Members pay you directly based on your current PPO fee schedule. Think of this network as a way to attract patients without dental insurance.
How to join
Ready to join our networks? It’s easy. Your state determines how you apply.
- Join the Diversified Dental Services network (member of the Principal Financial Group®).
- Complete the ProviderSource application. Please read the getting started guide (included in step 1 on the webpage) before logging in.
For all other states
- Use our online application to apply.
- To apply, you will need clear copies of:
- current state(s) license,
- individual NPI,
- current federal DEA certificate,
- professional liability insurance,
- tax documents (CP 575, 147C, or W9),
- and current board certificate and specialty diploma(s), if applicable.
- For North Carolina applicants only, you will also need two letters of reference, recommendation, and/or letters of oversight from supervisor.
- Your progress on the online application will be saved and you can return to complete the process within 14 days.
Expect to hear from us within 4 weeks after we receive all application materials. If we need additional information, we’ll contact you.
Ready to join?
If your dental practice is located in Nevada or Washington view the details on this page for how to apply. For all other states complete our online application to apply.Join now
Call us at 800-247-4695, Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. (CST), Friday 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (CST).
Send us something by mail
Principal Plan Dental Network
Attn. Provider Relations
711 High Street
Des Moines, IA 50392-2556
* We currently do not offer New Dental Choice in Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, and Wyoming. This discount plan is not insurance.
Dental Insurance from Principal® is issued by Principal Life Insurance Company, Des Moines, IA 50392.
Credentialing policies and procedures
Providers must complete an initial application providing general information and submit supplemental information. This is reviewed for completeness. If needed, Principal will request additional information from the provider.
The information is verified with various agencies and then reviewed under the direction of the dental director and/or peer review committee to make the final credentialing decision. The applicant will be notified in writing of the final credentialing decision.