Help with paid family and medical leave (PFML) claims
How to submit a claim for our private plan in Massachusetts.
To start a PFML claim in Massachusetts, complete and submit the claim online.
Or, complete and submit the appropriate PFML claim form for Massachusetts. Apply for leave:
- To bond with a newly born, adopted, or fostered child (PDF)
- To care for a covered service member or qualifying exigency (PDF)
- Due to a serious health condition
Submit form by:
- Mail: Principal Life Insurance Company
Attn: Group Life & Disability Claims Department
711 High St.
Des Moines, IA 50392-0002
- Email: SBDClaims@principal.com
- Fax: 800-255-6609
As soon as possible, however, no more than 30 days prior to the date of the leave.
In most instances, only one form (PFML) is needed. If we need additional information to process both the PFML and STD claims, we’ll reach out for the needed information.
No. To be eligible for benefits, an employee must meet all qualifications as defined by the policy. We must receive the specific documentation that is required depending on the type of leave requested. Each claim is reviewed to determine if it meets the contractual requirements for benefit payment.
Our goal is to make the PFML claim decision within 14 days after we receive the claim.
We issue benefits on a weekly basis.
It depends how the premiums were paid.
- For premiums paid with pre-tax dollars, the benefit is taxable. However, we don’t withhold taxes from the paid family and medical leave benefit payment. If the claim is a medical leave for your employee, taxes will be withheld.
- For premiums paid with post-tax dollars, the benefit is non-taxable.
- For premiums paid with a mix, only the portion paid with pre-tax dollars is taxable.
PFML benefits will be offset by unemployment, workers’ compensation, and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits.
This summary is not a complete description of the rights, benefits, limitations, and exclusions of Massachusetts PFML insurance. For cost and coverage details, contact your Principal® representative.
This information is provided with the understanding that Principal® is not rendering legal, accounting or tax advice. Consult with appropriate counsel or other advisors on all matters pertaining to legal, tax, or accounting obligations and requirements.
Insurance issued by Principal Life Insurance Company, Des Moines, IA 50392