Follow these steps. (You can also download a how-to PDF.)
- Go to Principal.com. Click “Log in” in the upper right corner.
- Click “New user? Register here,” then “Individuals.”
- Enter your first name, last name, date of birth, phone number, and your ID number (either your Social Security Number or a number provided by your employer) or zip code. (We will use the phone number to text or call you to verify your identity; see Step 5.)
- Click the box “I consent to doing business electronically.”
- If your phone number matches our records, you’ll receive a one-time code via text. If not, you’ll be asked to verify your identity by answering a few questions from a trusted third party.
- Create a username and password, and provide an email address.
- Select and answer three security questions. If we ever need to verify your identity, we’ll use these questions.
- You’ll receive a confirmation email, but can log in and begin viewing your account information.
Note: Every time you log in, or if you forget your password, you will be asked for a verification code to confirm it’s really you. The first time you log in, you choose how you receive verification codes. Options include text, voice call, and/or an authenticator app. Find more details below.
Click “Log in” at the top of any Principal.com page, enter your username, and click the “Next” button. Then enter your password and click “Verify.”
- Go to the log in page.
- Under the “Log in” button, click “Forgot username or password?”
- Choose “Individuals” as your role.
- Confirm your identity by providing the requested information; click “Continue.”
- You’ll receive a verification code by text, voice call, or an authenticator app; enter it.
- You'll see your username and may reset password; you can also return to the log in page.
For your convenience, your username continues to display on the password screen so you can confirm it’s been entered correctly. If you enter the correct password but receive an error message, please check that your username is entered correctly. If not, click the “cancel” button to return to the username entry screen.
After you have successfully logged in, you may go to the “My profile” section to change your password, customer service questions and answers, mailing address, email address, mobile phone number, two-factor authentication security settings, and more.
If you're having trouble logging in or unable to change your information online, please call +1-800-986-3343, Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m. CST, and a customer service representative can help.
Two-factor authentication, a security measure, helps prevent cybercriminals from accessing your account, even if they have your password. Here’s how it works: If you log in from an unrecognized computer or mobile phone, forget your password, or make changes to your account, or if we suspect something out of ordinary, we’ll send you a unique verification code to confirm it’s really you. You then enter that unique code, along with your username and password, to access your account.
You have the option to use voice call to receive a verification code. You provide either a mobile or landline phone number. When you receive a call providing a verification code, you must answer it; we cannot guarantee a code will be left in your voicemail. (You may select the “Call again” option after 30 seconds.)
When you answer, a voice will say the code. Then it will say "once again your code is" and repeat the code.
If you choose to provide your phone number during the authentication process, we will only use it for the purpose for which you have given us consent. In this case, we only use it for security purposes. Please review our security policies for additional information about how we protect your information.
An authenticator app is a third-party app you install on your mobile device or computer. All authenticator apps work like this: Once you open the app and choose the account you’re trying to log into, the app will generate a unique, one-time-use code to enable log in.
Authenticator apps are secure, with regularly refreshed codes unique to your device. Plus, if someone tries to gain access to your account, it’s more difficult for them to intercept your code since it’s generated by software installed on your device.
Our site has been optimized to work with the Google Authenticator app, but many other apps will work. If you wish to use Google Authenticator, here’s how to install it:
- If you do not have a multi-factor authenticator app: Choose “Google Authenticator” on the “Set up” security methods screen.
- If you do have the Google Authenticator app already installed, add Principal to Google Authenticator.
- Log in to your Principal.com account; go to “My Profile” and then click on “Manage 2-Factor Authentication Preferences.” Click on the blue “Connect Authenticator” button next to Authenticator app.
- A QR code will appear on the screen; scan the code with your mobile phone or enter the 16 digit code.
- Click the “Next” or “Continue” button on the Principal website.
- Enter the Google Authenticator 6-digit code (which changes every 30 seconds) on Principal.com.
- Once you have successfully entered the code, your app is ready to use for Principal.com log in.