Help with online access to your personal account
How to register, log in, and manage your username and password
Don’t worry; it happens! We can help you recover your username or reset your password online.
If you forgot your username:
- Go to the Forgot username page.
- Enter the email address you use to do business with us, and we'll send you an email with your username.
If you forgot your password:
- Go to the Personal Login page.
- Click the “Forgot password?” link under the area you'd normally enter your password.
- Enter your username.
- We'll send you a verification code to either your mobile number and/or email.
- After you've correctly entered your code, you'll be prompted to reset your password.
- You can then use this new password to log in to your account online.
You can also call us at 800-986-3343 for assistance.
Registering online takes only a few minutes, with these simple steps:
- Enter your first name, last name, date of birth, mobile phone number (this is the quickest way to verify your identity, as we'll simply text you a unique verification code), and your ID number (this is either your Social Security Number or a number provided by your employer) or zip code.
- Agree to do business electronically.
- If you don't provide your mobile phone number, you'll need to verify your identity by answering a few questions administered by a trusted third-party (Principal® does not have access to the information shown in this step of the process).
- Create a unique username, secure password, and provide an email address.
- Select and answer 3 customer service security questions we'll use to verify your identity if you need to call us.
That's it! You now have access to your online account. You'll get a confirmation email within a few minutes. Once you get that email, you can access your account online anytime.
Still need help? Download step-by-step instructions (PDF).
Click the "Log In" button at the top of any Principal.com page, then choose "Personal" as your login type. Then, simply follow the instructions on the screen to log in.
If you haven’t yet registered to access your account information online, it’s no problem. Simply click on “Create an account” to complete a quick and easy account registration and create your personal login credentials.
Log in and access your profile to change your password, customer service questions and answers, mailing address, email address, mobile phone number, and more.
We’re sometimes unable to deliver a message to the email address we have on file for your account. We recommend double-checking the following:
- The spelling of your email address (Make sure you’ve typed it correctly.)
- Your inbox capacity (If your email inbox is full, you won’t receive any new emails.)
- Your Junk or Spam folder (To make sure Principal emails are delivered to your inbox in the future, please add our email address to your address book or “Safe Sender” list.)