Help with Online Account Access
How to register, log in, and manage your username and password
Don’t worry; it happens! We can help you recover your username or reset your password online.
If you forgot your username, you can find out what it is by verifying your personal information (you can also get here by clicking “Forgot Username?” in the login process). Once we’ve verified your identity, we'll email you your username.
If you forgot your password, you can reset it online. If you haven’t already, go to the Personal Login page. Click the “Forgot password?” link under the area you'd normally enter your password. Enter your username. Then, we'll send you a verification code to either your mobile number and/or email. After you've correctly entered your code, you'll be prompted to reset your password. You can then use this new password to log in to your account online.
You can also call us at 800-986-3343 for assistance.
Registering online takes only a few minutes, with these simple steps:
- Enter your name, date of birth, zip code, and identification number (which may include Social Security Number, Enterprise ID, Alternate ID or Privacy ID). You'll also need to agree to doing business electronically.
- Verify your identity by answering a few questions administered by a trusted third-party (Principal® does not have access to the information shown in this step of the process).
- Create your username and password, and provide an email address.
- We'll send you an email as soon as your account information is ready to access online.
- We'll also use this email address to send account-related communications.
- You can update your email address online any time.
- Set your customer service security questions and answers (used to verify identity when calling customer service).
That’s it! You'll receive an email within a few minutes to confirm your account is ready to go. You can access your account online anytime, 24/7, with the username and password you’ve just set.
Still need help? Download step-by-step instructions (PDF).
Click the "Log In" button at the top of any Principal.com page, then choose "Personal" as your login type. Then, simply follow the instructions on the screen to log in.
If you haven’t yet registered to access your account information online, it’s no problem. Simply click on “Create an account” to complete a quick and easy account registration and create your personal login credentials.
Log in and access your profile to change your password, customer service questions and answers, mailing address, email address, mobile phone number, and more.
We’re sometimes unable to deliver a message to the email address we have on file for your account. We recommend double-checking the following:
- The spelling of your email address (Make sure you’ve typed it correctly.)
- Your inbox capacity (If your email inbox is full, you won’t receive any new emails.)
- Your Junk or Spam folder (To make sure Principal emails are delivered to your inbox in the future, please add our email address to your address book or “Safe Sender” list.)